Though bacterial vaginosis is not a sexually transmitted disease (STD), starting a serxual relationship with a new partner could also upset the balance of bacteria in a woman’s vagina, and having BV could enhance the odds of actually contracting an STD.
In fact, bacterial vaginosis is a common kind of vaginal infection. Lots of “good” bacterial and some “bad” bacteria are normally present in the vagina. And, this mild infection happens when the balance between the good and bad bacteria is disturbed. The over-growth of “bad” bacteria leads to an inflammation of the vagina. In reality, the common symptoms of BV contain a white-grey, thin discharge, a fishy odor, itching, pain and burning, yet many women do not realize any symptom at all. Females ranging from late teens to about mid-40 tend to be the most susceptible to developing bacterial vaginosis. Besides, specific activities, such as smoking or douching may increase the risk, yet the actual causes of bacterial vaginosis are unknown. Oftentimes, bacteria vaginosis is not serious and usually goes away on its own. The easiest way to cure this condition is through some natural home remedies for bacterial vaginosis, which might help a lot. Take a look to see how to treat BV at home! This article refers the information introduced in WebMD.
15 Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
When it comes to home remedies for bacterial vaginosis, apple cider vinegar is an excellent option. There are many benefits of apple cider vinegar you can take and one of them is to treat bacterial vaginosis.
Because of its acidic nature, apple cider vinegar could help enhance vaginal acidity, making it difficult for bad bacteria to survive, and create a better and healthier environment for the good bacteria to thrive.
- Add 1 teaspoon of ACV into two cups of plain water.
- Use this solution to douche your down-there area once per day till your infection disappears.
Among home remedies for bacterial vaginosis, this is the most common. Yogurt is jam packed with good bacterial, especially lactobacillus acidophilus – the bacterium that naturally presents in the body of a woman and helps in curing infection within the vagina by rebuilding the balance in bacterial levels. In fact, there are a few you can use make use of yogurt to get rid of bacterial vaginosis.
- You can dip a tampon in the plain yogurt for 10 minutes or so
- Then insert it into your vagina for about 2 hours in order to cure bacterial infection.
- Besides, you should consume plain yogurt at least twice per day to take advantage of it
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is the simple-to-find and effective herbal treatment for bacterial vaginosis. Tea tree oil includes natural bacterial and antifungal compounds that could be beneficial in killing the germs that lead to bacterial vaginosis. Also, it combats the awful smell – a common symptom of bacterial vaginosis.
- You can mix several drops of tea tree oil in the tepid water
- Rinse your own vagina with this natural solution once per day till your infection goes away.
Or, you just need to:
- Add 3 drops of tea tree oil and 3 cups of white vinegar to a bath of warm water.
- Soak yourself into that solution for 30 minutes.
Garlic is a natural antibiotic which can work well to treat BV. In addition, its antifungal properties could keep the bad bacterial in check. You could eat raw garlic cloves or:
- Simply place one garlic clove into your vagina
- After several hours, you remove it.
Fenugreek can be used to improve the pH level within the vagina and increase the immune system for accelerating the healing process. It is well-known as one of natural home remedies for bacterial vaginosis. You can use Fenugreek to treat BV in a few ways.
- Soak one teaspoon of Fenugreek seeds in the water and wait till the next morning to drink it with your empty stomach.
- Drink this tea thrice per day. This could also help you regulate the menstrual cycle.
- Or, you can mix one teaspoon of Fenugreek powder to about 1 cup of yogurt and consume it twice per day.
6. Tea Bag
Similar tea tree oil, tea bag is one of the easiest home remedies for bacterial vaginosis.
- Soak a tea bag into the water and place it in your fridge for several minutes.
- Then, place it into your vagina for 10 minutes or so
This will give you a soothing relief for the itchy feeling caused by the infection.
7. Turmeric And Milk
Thanks to the lactobacilli bacteria in milk, it could be used as a natural cure for BV. Also, milk is helpful in strengthening the human immune system.
- Mix one teaspoon of the turmeric powder in the glass of tepid milk
- Drink it daily till your BV symptoms disappear entirely.
As an alternative, you can:
- Dip a tampon in chilled milk and then insert it into your own vagina.
- Wait for 1-2 hours before removing it.
Apply this method once per day, for a few days to get good results.
8. Margosa Leaves (Indian Lilac)
In this list of natural home remedies for bacterial vaginosis, margosa leaves is an efficient cure that not many women know. Indian lilac, which is also called as margosa or neem, includes antibacterial and antifungal properties, helping reduce inflammation and itching feelings and also kill the germs resulting in bacterial infection.
- Crush a handful of these leaves in a proper amount of water to create a good paste.
- Then, apply the paste on your vagina.
- Wait for 1-2 hours before rinsing it off. Do this routine twice per day to get relief.
9. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil comes with antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties which could kill germs leading to BV and prevent it from recurring.
- You could apply the organic coconut oil onto your affected area thrice per day.
- Or, you could soak a tampon in the organic coconut oil and then insert it in your vagina.
- After a few hours, you remove it.
- Rinse the vagina area with tepid water thoroughly. Apply this method once per day for a few days.
To make use of coconut oil more frequently, you can add it to your cooking process to boost immune system and promote healing process.
10. Oregano Oil
Because oregano oil includes both antifungal and antibacterial properties, so it could be helpful in fighting the germs responsible for bacterial infection. Also, it is effective in prevent the recurrence of the infection. For curing BV, you should use oregano oil which does not contain alcohol.
- Mix 3 drops of this oil with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Then, apply the mixture onto your vagina area.
- Wait for a couple of hours and remove it. Do this once per day to get good results.
Alternatively, you could:
- Mix 3 drops of this oil in one glass of tepid water.
- Drink it twice per day. Keep doing this treatment for 1-2 months.
11. Hydrogen Peroxide
Another effective natural home remedy for bacterial vaginosis is Hydrogen Peroxide which can work as a natural disinfectant helping eliminate bad bacteria as well as other inflammatory agents that trigger BV. What you need to do is:
- Mix equal amounts of the 3% hydrogen peroxide and plain water together to create a solution.
- Then, use this solution as a douche.
- Apply it to the tampon and insert in into your vagina and wait for less than 30 minutes.
- Rinse your vagina off with plain water
12. Golden Seal
Being a powerful bacterial vaginosis treatment, golden seal could treat the bacterial infection in your vagina. Apply it as a tincture to get rid of this condition fast.
13. Black Walnut
Having great antiseptic and anti-parasitic properties, black walnut can naturally cure bacterial vaginosis. To heal the infection of your vagina, you simply:
- Apply black walnut tincture over your down-there area.
- Wait for 2 hours or so and rinse it thoroughly.
14. Warm Water Bath
This sounds too simple to do but a bathing in warm water will help you soothe the tissues within your vagina, so you can prevent further infection.
15. Folic Acid And Citrus Fruits
Eating foods that have folate can help keep women protected against problems related to bacterial vaginosis. Therefore, you should increase your intake of dark leafy greens, asparagus, spinach, broccoli, and avocado in your daily diet.
In addition to dark leafy greens, you should also eat more citrus fruits and drink more citrus juices to naturally boost your immune system. Lemons, grapefruits and oranges are rich in vitamin C, helping you fight off infections.
With the home remedies for bacterial vaginosis above, you could take control of the bacterial infection symptoms effectively and prevent it from recurring. However, in addition to these remedies, you should also follow some preventive measures, like:
- Avoid douching, sexual contact with multiple partners
- Maintain good vaginal hygiene
- Avoid over consumption of sugar, no smoking and alcohol
- Avoid using intrauterine contraceptive devices
- Use cotton panties
Read more : How to keep your vagina clean & healthy